Beer Infused Sausage Stuffing
1 hour, 5 minutes
- 1 medium red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium tart apples, coarsely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 1 loaf Bakery Italian (or sourdough) bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 oz bulk mild (or hot) Italian pork sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup dark ale beer
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock (or broth)
- 2 eggs, beaten (or 1/2 cup egg substitute)
- Aluminum foil
Preheat oven to 400°F. Chop bell pepper, apples, celery, sage, and parsley.
Cut leek into quarters lengthwise and rinse well; slice white part only (2 cups).
Cut bread into bite-size pieces (about 8 cups). Arrange bread cubes on baking sheet; bake 8–10 minutes or until toasted.
Preheat large, nonstick sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place oil in pan; add sausage and brown 5–6 minutes, stirring to crumble, until no pink remains. Add bell pepper, celery, leeks, salt, and pepper; cook and stir 3–4 minutes or until tender.
Pour in beer and cook 2–3 minutes or until liquid is reduced by about one-half. Combine sage, parsley, stock, and eggs; whisk to blend. Place bread in 13- x 9-inch baking dish; pour sausage and stock mixtures over bread and stir to combine, then let stand 5 minutes.
Cover stuffing with foil; bake 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake 7–8 more minutes or until liquid has been absorbed and top has browned. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/8 recipe) 310kcal; FAT 10g; SAT FAT 2g; TRANS FAT 0g; CHOL 55mg; SODIUM 660mg; CARB 44g; FIBER 2g; SUGARS 8g; PROTEIN 10g; VIT A 0%; VIT C 0%; CALC 2%; IRON 15%
Source: Publix Aprons® recipe